Are you under the age of 25 and looking to make a difference in the world? Well DoSomething.org is the place for you! They are one of the largest organizations in the United States for teens and social change. This organization understands that teens have potential to be creative and they see the energy that some teens have, and want to allow them to run free on things that matter to them. Their goal is to create a huge and exciting movement of teens taking action to fix causes they care about and believe in. Each week they launch a new national campaign that really has a great impact without requiring money. Here are some of their values to give you a better idea of what they do and who they are:
- Believe in young people. Young people have the power to lead. We don’t require old people!
- Trust young people. We provide reliable, easy-to-access information and activation strategies, but young people decide for themselves what to do.
- Celebrate young people. We think all measurable contributions from young people are valuable.
- Respect young people. We understand that young people have diverse abilities and constraints.
- Value young people. Our programs and products are free. We’re not after young people’s money; we want their passion, time, and creativity.
On their website, you can choose among the different campaigns that you are interested in. As well as various resources and project ideas for causes located in communities that you can look through to find your passion. They also offer some really amazing stories and programs that were very inspiring to read about.
Also on their website, you can find tons of information about the boot camp where you can get project advice as well as training. Good causes that celebrities are involved in. You can join or even start a Do Something Club in your community. You can get grants to start or expand your own project. They offer a broken down version of the news in the world. You can share your own stories on how you made a difference and get new ideas for projects; and you can receive scholarships.
Here are some interesting Facts about this organization:
- 2.2 million young people participated in campaigns in the past year.
- 1 million+ members (and growing at 7,000 per day).
- 500,000+ mobile subscribers (and growing at 5,000 per day).
- 200,000+Facebook likes .
- 556,000+ Twitter followers (one of the largest for non-profits).
- We’ll give away $600,000+ in scholarships in 2012.
- 2 times as many new members in Q1 2012 than all of 2011. Then, 2 times as many new members in Q2 2012 as in Q1 2012.
- Every 10 seconds DoSomething.org receives an incoming text message from its members.
- 15,000 new donors registered through our 2011 Give a Spit campaign, helping to save the lives of Leukemia patients.
- 4 Star Charity Rating from Charity Navigator (only 9% of U.S. charities get 4 stars)
- Over 2.5 million jeans collected over the past five years through our Teens for Jeans campaigns